Saturday, November 12, 2016

POST ELECTION TEARS, ANGER, RIOTS, DESTRUCTION, BRATISM, AND THE DRAGON IS SO HAPPY

First thing I learned in rehab: I didn't use drugs because I had problems; I had problems in order to give myself excuses to use. I call the desire to use, my Lower Power, "The Dragon." That fire smoking lizard takes new days, searches for the day's real or imagined flaws, and magnifies them until all I can see is failure, lost hope, and shattered dreams.
     "So," says the Dragon, "as long as everything is crappy anyway, why not score a little something ease the pain?"
     Meetings, talking with your sponsor and other addicts, reading the literature, using the telephone, staying close to one's higher power, seeing things back in perspective, and the crisis is over.
     Throwing destructive temper tantrums, setting things on fire, saying "to hell with it," and picking up a mood altering drug means whatever nightmare you are in is about to get infinitely worse.
     Live in the solution, not in the problem.
     What can you build on this new day?
     Don't let sadness, anger, depression, disappointment, or pain pick the kind of day you are going to have. Use the program and you pick the kind of day you are going to have.
     Yeah, the above might be considered "free advice," but it wasn't free; It damn near cost me my life.
     Take care. 

  

No comments:

California Clean and a Brief Peek at Reality

  Denial, that old Egyptian river. It is the principle symptom of active addiction. This is why addiction is often described as the disease...