Friday, February 24, 2012

TWO WOLVES

Today's Just For Today reading (see Links, column right) deals with some of the attitude changes we need to make to be happy about being clean, rather than stumbling along as a big white knuckle. It brought to mind a story sent to me by a friend in Pennsylvania about an old Cherokee who is telling his grandson about a fight that goes on inside most men and women, and just about every recovering addict I've ever met..

"Grandson," the old man began, "the battle is between two wolves within us all. One wolf is Evil.  It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other wolf is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The young boy thought about it for a moment then asked his grandfather, "Tell me, then. Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

A thought: Today, with my actions, my goals, my attitude, and my outlook, which wolf am I feeding?

* * *
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation; The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves."
---Will Rogers

No comments:

California Clean and a Brief Peek at Reality

  Denial, that old Egyptian river. It is the principle symptom of active addiction. This is why addiction is often described as the disease...