Friday, January 22, 2016

UNFINISHED STORIES

I sit in a meeting listening to a newcomer tell his or her story, and more often than not, I am secretly cheering for that person to listen, to grab onto the lifelines, take the suggestions, get a temporary sponsor, and make it to that next meeting. Often they do. When that is the last I see or hear of them, though, I worry.
I know worry is a message to my Higher Power telling him that I'll take care of it myself, and it usually takes me awhile to let go. If you have the disease of addiction, I want you to get clean and live that life of joy and freedom. Those who have this problem, I hope, want the same for me. It's that "one addict helping another" part of the program that has saved so many lives.
Those are meetings, however. I never thought I'd get the same feeling from viewing the statistics for this blog. Just numbers, right?
Here is the current breakdown of this blog's top page views:
 
United States
  73922
Russia
     1100
Lebanon
       901
France
       879
Germany
       610
Canada
       582
United Kingdom
       368
New Zealand
       230
China
        191
Ukraine
        191
For several months page views from Lebanon came in second and I wondered about those readers, about their stories, about the program in Lebanon. Few ever write to tell me, so I wonder. For three weeks page views from Russia came in number one, beating page views from all other countries including the U.S. For the past two weeks nothing from Russia and nothing from Lebanon.
People move, people go back out again, people reach out to different forms of help and entertainment, and as a sponsor of mine once said, "There is no rule that says anyone has to check in with you before making a change in his or her life."
Which is very true. Still I wonder. I hate reading the opening chapter to a really interesting story then losing the book.
  
 

No comments: